Before the Yellow Pages
Last year's  program related the the settlement by John McBroom and Peter Magnes [Magnus], the founders of Sheridan and Petersburg, respectively. Petersburg was the first subdivision filed in the area, followed closely by Sheridan, which was prompted by a request by the Citizens of Denver and the surrounding communities for a military post in the late 1880s.
The people raised the necessary funds to pay for the land and General Phil Sheridan came to the area on March 20, 1887, and selected the area adjacent to the land belonging to John McBroom's brother, Isaac McBroom. The military arrived on October 22, 1887, in a blinding snowstorm, and camped on the land we know today as Mullen School. They soon realized they were on the wrong ground and moved their camp further south. On November 16, 1887, Isaac McBroom filed a plat he called Sheridan. It was an 'L' shape, the long portion being Block 3-6 along Lowell, then known as Sheridan Avenue; and Blocks 1-2 along Mansfield, which he called Brady Street. This subdivision was along the north side of the post and included the road leading to the post. On April 12, 1889 he filed a second subdivision called 1st Addition to Sheridan, filing in the 'L' and making it more of a square. Businesses flocked to the area, as well as residents.
Col. Sheridan was apparently very popular with the settlers, as other areas quickly were subdivided, and named for him-Town of Sheridan, and Sheridan Subdivision. The military took their time in naming the post, finally naming it after John Alexander Logan.
The residents of the area, and probably outside merchants, who saw business opportunities through the fort, formed a government. On January 14, 1890, a group of people including Peter Magnes, Peter McCourt [Baby Doe McCourt Tabor's half-brother] and Jacob Puff filed a petition for the incorporation of the town of Sheridan [not to be confused with the subdivision of the same name]. On February 18, 1890, the election for incorporation was approved. The court approved the incorporation on April 14, 1890, and Sheridan officially became a town.
Interestingly the town never had a post office or central business district, and so all the mail, goods and services flowed through the postoffice in Petersburg or Fort Logan. The Colorado State Business Directory, which is the source for all the information in this book, was published for all areas with a post office, and probably charged a fee for inclusion and featured several ads for local businesses. While there is good information included, names were listed without care, and frequently were misspelled.
This area's first listing was in 1893 under Fort Logan. A Military Post in Arapahoe County on the D & R G & Union Pacific Rys. Information for 1894 was the same, but in 1895 added that it was nine miles south of Denver . In 1898 the railroads changed to the D & R G R and the D L & G. In 1899 the population dropped to 500 and while the D & R G Railroad stayed, the D L & G changed to C & S Railroad.
1900 showed that the area was now connected by electric street car line. In 1901 the population had dropped to 300. The 1907 directory no longer listed the connection on the street car, probably because the lines were well established. In 1914 the population rose again to 500. In 1915 they apparently re-measured the distance from Denver, and came up with eight miles. In 1920 the nearest bank was Englewood. In 1923 the altitude was listed as 5,000 feet, and the post office three miles northwest of Littleton, the county seat. 1924 showed an increase in population to 600 and by 1927 it had risen to 700.
After 1924 the listings are only available every odd year from 1933 and after 1943 only 1950 is available.
The 1893 businesses supplied basic needs and included two meat markets, four saloons, two general merchandise stores, a merchant tailor, two residential facilities, and a contractor builder. G. Brunnett and J. F. Lage each ran a meat market. H. D. Lee was the tailor. Logan House proprietor was T. G. Calvert, and Sheridan House had C. Brockling as the proprietor. T. H. Smith was a contractor and builder. Daniel Morgan sold groceries, and the Fort Logan Mercantile Co sold general merchandise, as well as being a saloon. The other saloonkeepers were Cotter & Brown, Geo Leher, and Pat Saliney [Sliney].
In 1894 Theo Boer was barber and cigars; G. Brunnett and W. Fabian had meat markets; Mr. C. Burkling [Brockling in 1893] was the prop of Sheridan House and T. G. Calvert was the proprietor of Logan House. J. E. Evans was the postmaster and agent for D & R G [Denver And Rio Grande] express; Fort Logan Mercantile Co carried general merchandise and Daniel Morgan sold groceries. E. A. Kuhn was the agent for U P [Union Pacific] Ry [railroad]; T. H. Smith was contractor and builder while Geo W Harriman was a grading contractor; Capt. C. A. Cooledge was in charge of the Post Exchange and there were three saloons, Wm. Cotter, Geo[rge] Leher and Pat Saliney.
Theo Boer added a lunch counter to his barber and cigars in 1895; Chas Braun had a restaurant; Burkling was proprietor of Sheridan House and Calvert the proprietor of Logan House; Brunnett and Fabian listed as operatiing the meat markets; Evans was still postmaster and Exp. Agt but now handled tickets also. Fort Logan Mercantile Co now had W. Fabian as the manager. Smith was listed again as contractor and builder, and Harriman as grading contractor. The Post Exchange was now under the command of Capt. J T Van Orsdale; C L Thomas was the agent for D & R G R R; and Cotter, Loher [sic] and Seliney [sic] still were listed as saloons.
Business seems to have solidified in the area. Even if the names underwent some spelling differences over the years, odds are they are the same persons. Unfortunately the addresses were not given, and since some years businesses were skipped there is no certainty they were still there. There is also the possibility that the publisher missed them or the merchants couldn't afford to be listed that year. Some of the businesses were some distance away and only received their mail at the Fort Logan Post Office. In 1905-6 Curran Bill Posting Co, [since no punctuation was used, this could be Bill Curran Posting Co] office Denver, was listed as receiving their mail at Fort Logan Post Office.
Later years supported enough businesses to broken out by categories:
Auto, Garage & Livery
Logan Auto Co F D Scribner is listed in 1912.
Wm P Oleson is listed in 1923-33 as garage. He is listed in 1933, 1935, 1937, and 1939.
G N Johnson is listed in 1924-26 as groc. & auto livery.
R Monaghan is listed in 1924-25 as auto livery.
Peter Oleson is listed auto livery in 1924-28.
C Richardson is listed in 1924-25 as auto livery.
T S Jackson is listed as dray in 1927-33.
D B Wilson is listed in 1928-32 as garage. He is listed in 1933, 1935, 1937, 1939.
Theo Boer In 1894 listed as barber and cigars, and in 1895 he also listed a lunch counter.
C D McAuliff was listed as barber in 1896-7.
E L Daniels was a barber in 1899.
A J Helbling is listed in 1900-01. A J Helbling is listed as barber, cigars and tobacco in 1902, in 1903 as bakery & cigars. In 1904 he is listed as barber & cigars, and in 1905 he adds tobacco. In 1906-11 he is listed only as a barber. In 1912 he is again listed barber, cigars and this continues until 1927-33 when it appears as Cigars and tobacco. His listing continues in 1935 & 1937
J C Jetmore is listed in 1906-11.
Chas Kinkle is listed in 1923-33 as billiards. [he is also listed as Kinkle & Patton, genl mdse. in 1923]. He is listed again in 1935 & 1937.
Erickson & Stocking are listed as restaurant and billiards in 1928.
1897-8 John Quinlan is listed.
Catholic Church, Father Brady priest is listed in 1902-5. In 1906 his name is changes to Father O'Brady. [his name was Brady]. It continues as O'Brady in 1906-11. In 1912-13 Father Richard Brady again appears. In 1914-15 Father E H Clark was listed as priest. [Church history tells us that Father Brady took two years to go back to Ireland]. In 1916-27 Father Brady is again listed as priest. In 1928-32 Father Brady is listed as Pastor.
Grace Calvary Church, Rev Nelson Hill listed in 1950
St. Patrick's Church, Rev. Anthony Weinzapfel, listed in 1950. [Note this is the Catholic Church listed above.]
Contractors and Builders
T H Smith contractor and builder in 1893-6; in 1897 he changed to carpenter. In 1898 he again was contractor and builder. In 1906-9 he is listed as Thomas H Smith, general brick contractor. In 1910-11 he is listed as carpenter.
Geo. W Harriman was listed as a grading contractor in 1894-7.
A W English is listed as a carpenter in 1902-3.
S Erickson is listed as Civil Engineer in 1914-29. In 1930-32 he is listed as Sam Erickson, civil engr and restaurant.
Frank Lang is listed as Civil Engineer in 1914-22.
Mrs. J W Stover is listed in 1914-15 as dairy.
Dornes & Kanmiller are listed in 1916 as dairy.
Shirley Dairy Farm listed in 1916-22.
E O Green is listed in 1923 as dairy. (estate)
Theo Boer 1985 shows a barber, cigars and lunch counter.
Chas Braun was listed in 1895 as restaurant.
H Plumb was listed in 1896 for cigars and lunches, in 1897-8 lunches changed to conf.
Charles McNeil is listed as restaurant in 1897.
L A Johnson In 1898 is listed as lunch rm (room) and cigars.
Mrs. J W Vrooman is listed as restaurant in 1899.
Miller & Washburn, restaurant in 1907.
D Pearson restaurant in 1913.
J L Tilley is listed in 1919 as restaurant.
A Askinas is listed in 1923-27 restaurant.
Erickson & Stocking are listed as restaurant and billiards in 1928.
Sam Erickson In 1930-32 he is listed as civil engr and restaurant.
J H Buxton was listed as florist in 1927-30
Groceries & Merchandise
Fort Logan Mercantile Co, general merchandise and saloon, 1893 In 1894 the saloon was not listed and in 1895-7 W Fabian is listed as the mgr.
Fabian & Co, W, shows up as in 1897 gen mdse, drugs, saloon and meat market, he is shown in 1898 as general merchandise and saloon..
Daniel Morgan, groceries 1893-5.
A C Greene is listed in 1896-1902 for groceries. In 1903-4 Green & Simpson is listed. In 1905 they are listed as gents furnishings and grocery. In 1906 they are listed general merchandise. In 1907 he is listed as Greene & Simpson, genl mdse. In 1908-22 Arthur C Greene is listed as general merchandise. While his listing does not appear again until 1932 we believe he was in continuous operation. He is listed in 1933, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1941, 1943
James H Montgomery is shown in 1897-8 for cigars and tobacco. He is listed again in 1902-04.
H S Channel is listed as confcty-cigars in 1899.
R Tierney is listed as cigars and notions in 1899.
R B Barnes is listed in 19001 as drugs.
A G Lewis is listed in 1902 as drugs.
Plumb & Co H in 1902 his is listed as groceries and confectionery. [He is listed earlier as cigars and tobacco]. In 1903-9 Plumb & Co is listed as dry goods. In 1910-11 Plumb & Co H is listed genl mdse and drugs.
A J Helbling is listed in 1903 as bakery & cigars. In 1913-26 he is listed as cigars & confecty. In 1927-33 he is again cigars and barber.
Mrs. T J Karlo is listed as confectionary in 1904-5, [he is listed as tailor]. In 1912-15 as stationary. In 1916-19 Mrs. J T Karlo is listed as confecty.
Mrs. J T Carlo is listed in 1920-28 for confecty.
Wm T Simpson is listed in 1912-13 as dry goods. In 1914-22 as general merchandise.
Mrs J Grassham is listed in 1916 as general merchandise.
Joe Winnesaki is listed genl mdse in 1916-309.
Edw Uhland is listed in 1919-31 as groceries. [In past years Ed Uhland is listed as saloon]
Kinkle & Patton are listed 1823 as genl mdse.
A L Reich is listed in 1923-31 as genl mdse.
G N Johnson is listed in 1924-26 as groc. & auto livery.
A R Monaghan is listed in 1924-33 as genl mdse. He is listed again in 1935, 1937, 1939, 1941, 1943
Jac Wisniewski is listed in 1931-33 as genl mdse. He is listed again in 1935 & 1937
Elsie E Bond is listed in 1941 as genl mdse. Is listed in 1943
Kinsey Drug Co., Gladys & Joseph C. Kinsey listed in 1950.
J E Abbott & Co lumber listed in 1923-30.
Turner General Merchandise, M. W. Turner 3533 W. Mansfield, PO Box 138 listed in 1950. But may be genl mdse.
West Hampden Hardware, Wm H. Waite 2955 W Hampden PO Box 6, listed in 1950.
Mr. G Brunnett was listed as meat market from 1893-1898.
J F Lage was listed for a meat market in 1893.
Geo Leher was listed for a meat market in 1893.
W Fabian was listed from 1894 until 1897 when he added "& Co" and listed genl mdse, drugs, saloon to the meat market. He was also listed as the manager for the Fort Logan Mercantile Co. that year. In 1898 Fabian & Co is listed as general merchandise and saloon.
Ed Rosenbusch is listed in 1902-5.
Charles Lawton is listed in 1912 as saloon and notary. In 1925-33 he is listed as postmaster and Notary Public. He is listed again in 1935. In 1937 & 1939 is only notary public.
M Ross was listed as photographer in 1916-22.
D & R G Express J E Evans was the postmaster and agent for 1894 and in 1895 had added freight and tickets.
U P Railroad E A Kuhn was the agent in 1893.
D R G R R 1895 showed C L Thomas agt. In 1898-1908 C W Richards was agt. In 1912 Charles W was agt. In 1913-14 Howard Wiliams was the agent.
In 1925-26 R Diffenbaugh was listed as the agent.
D L & G R R In 1896 J Ransom was the agt.
Station Agent It does not tell what station, F R Brown is the agent in 1915-22.
Rooms & Boarding Houses
Logan House, T G Calvert, prop was listed in 1893-6. In 1897 Mrs. P. Keeler is shown as proprietor of Logan House. In 1898 Mrs Jennie Mortell is listed as the propietor of Logan House.
Sheridan House, C Brockling, prop. 1893-1900-01, in 1894 the spelling was changed to Burkling. In 1903
Star Hotel Patrick Sliney, proprietor. In 1902-7 he also had a saloon. In 1908-9 W J Bruner is listed as the prop. In 1910-15 Patrick Sliney is again listed prop. In 1916-18 C B Jones is listed as prop. In 1919-33, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1941, 1943 D B Wilson is listed as prop.
Sherman House is listed as a boarding house in 1903-5.
Mrs. W F Doughty is listed as boarding house in 1914-15.
Mrs. John Murphy is listed as rooming house in 1914-23. [There was a John Murphy in 1903 who was street commissioner and in 1917 John A Murphy was mgr of W U Tel Co]. In 1924-32 Mrs. J Murphy is listed as furn rooms.
Mrs. Theresa Newby furn rooms in 1933.
Mountain View Hotel, Anna M. Wilson, listed in 1950.
Cotter & Brown were listed in this category in 1893, in 1894-9 Wm (E) Cotter is listed.
Fort Logan Mercantile Co. also was a saloon as well as general merchandise.
Geo Leher was listed in 1893-5.
Pat Saliney [sic] was listed in 1893-4, and in 1895-6 the name had been changed to Seliney. In 1897-8 the name was corrected to Sliney. Patrick added in 1899-1900-01. In 1902 he also lists the Star Hotel. He still has a saloon in 1903-7.
Fabian & Co (W) 1897-8 showed, as gen mdse, drugs, saloon and meat market.
M O'Toole is listed in 1897.
Patrick Hoolohan is listed in 1898 In 1899-1900-02 his name is Hoolahan.
L A Johnson is listed in 1899-1900-02, formerly he had cigars and a lunch room.
Chas [Charles] Lawton is listed in 1899-1900-9. In 1910 he is listed as saloon and mayor. In 1911 he lists saloon only. He is listed in 1912 as saloon and notary. In 1913-15 he is listed as saloon. In 1923 he is listed as postmaster.
L Stecklein is listed in 1902 opp [opposite?] Sheridan Park. In 1903-4 there is no mention of location. In 1905-9 he adds Sheridan to his listing. In 1910-14 Sheridan does not appear.
Hoffmeister & Uhland is listed in 1903-5. 1910-11lists Ed Uhland.
Edward Uhland is listed in 1906-15. In 1919 an Edw Uhland is listed under groceries.
Ernest Hoffmeister is listed in 1910-11.
Michael H. Hoolahan is listed as saloon & town clerk in 1903.
In 1904 he is listed only as saloon. In 1905 he is listed as Marshal.
D McNamara is listed in 1903.
Franklin & Prince is listed in 1904-5.
W P Pattridge is listed in 1904.
Mike Ryan is listed in 1904.
Fitzgerald & Mulholland are listed in 1905. The name changes to Fitzgerald & Phillips in 1906.
Harry Livingston is listed in 1905-6, [in 1903 he was the town marshal]. In 1907-9 he is saloon, justice of peace, Mayor. In 1910-11 he is listed as saloon and justice.
Franklin & Co Wm is listed in 1906-7. [is this the same Franklin listed above with Prince?]. In 1908 Wm Franklin is listed as the prop of the Eagle Saloon. Listed again as Wm Franklin in 1909-11. In 1912-15 Will Franklin is listed.
El Caney is listed as saloon in 1907-11.
Mrs. E Hofmaster is listed in 1912-14.
Monaghan's Tavern, A R Monaghan listed in 1950
Mrs. Helen Eddy is school princ. In 1906-10.
Fort Logan School, Mrs. Alice Terry Supt, listed in 1950.
Mayor Chas Gallagher in 1902. In 1906 John Fitzgerald is the Mayor [is this the same Fitzgerald with the saloon?] In 1907-9 Harry Livingston, who also has a saloon, is listed as justice of the peace. [in 1902 he was town Marshal]. In 1910 Charles Lawton is listed as saloon & mayor
Town Attorney R D Reese in 1902.
Marshal Harry Livingston in 1902, in 1905 he shows up with a saloon. In 1903 Geo E Busey was the Marshal. In 1905 Mike Hoolahan is listed. In 1906 James Kehoe.
Town Clerk Michael H. Hoolahan is listed as saloon & town clerk in 1903. In 1904-5 W. Olson is listed. In 1906-7 J B Serber is listed as city clerk.
Street Commissioner John Murphy in 1903. In 1904 Martin Nelson is listed.
Justice Peace Harry Livingston listed in 1907-9 as saloon, justice of peace and Mayor, [note he was town marshal in1902]. In 1910-11 Harry is saloon & justice. In 1923-24 Edw N Bean is the justice. In 1928 he is listed again as justice.
Tailor, Dressmaker & Shoemaker
Merchant tailor D J Lee was listed in 1893.
Michael I Cotter was listed in 1897-8.
Tailor John Karlo is listed in 1902-3.
John Karlo is listed in 1904-5, [Mrs. T J Karlo is listed as confectionery, and in 1912-15 as stationary].
In 1910-15 J T Karlo is again listed a tailor.
In 1903 F W Jaques is listed.
In 1906 George Blue is listed.
In 1923-27 Henry Reinhart is listed.
J P Tucker was listed in 1898.
I Leeb in 1899.
In 1902 W. S. Nevius is listed.
In 1903-5 Foy Ray is listed.
In 1903-5 W. Simonton is listed.
In 1923-27 F M Wheeler is listed.
In 1903 Cora Atchinson is listed as dressmaker.
In 1914-15 Mrs C Curran was listed.
Theo Boer was a barber and cigars in 1894 and by 1895 he had added lunch counter.
H Plumb was listed in 1896 for cigars and lunches. Henry Plumb is shown as cigs and conf in 1897-8. In 1901 he is listed as Plumb & Co H, cigars and tobacco. In 1902 he changed to groceries and confectionary.
James H Montgomery is shown in 1897-8 for cigars and tobacco. In 1905 he is shown again cigars & tobacco. In 1898 L A Johnson is listed as lunch rm and cigars.
H S Channel is listed as confcty-cigars in 1899.
R Tierney is listed as cigars and notions in 1899-1900.
A J Helbling is listed as barber, cigars and tobacco in 1902. In 1903 as bakery & cigars. In 1904 he is listed as barber & cigars. In 1905 he adds tobacco. In 1913-26 he is again listed cigars & confecty. In 1927-33 he is cigars and barber. He is listed in1935 & 1937.
U S Government
Post Exchange Capt. C A Cooledge was in charge in 1894. In 1895-7 Capt J T Van Orsdale was in charge. In 1898 1st Lieut G W McIver was in charge.
United States Army Post
In 1929 Lieut Col Warren T Hannum commanding officer, Capt. Rich P Boykin Quartermaster Corp.
In 1930 Col Chas B Rettis commanding officer, Lieut Frank Marchman,quartermaster corp.
In 1931 Col Chas R Pettis commanding officer, Capt Davis Grove quartermaster corp.
In 1932 Col Chas R Pettis commanding officer, Capt David Grove quartermaster corp.
In 1933 Col Sherwood A Cheney, commanding officer, Capt. David Grove quartermaster corp.
In 1935 Col Wildur Willing is commanding officer.
In 1937 Col Jarvis J Bain is the commanding officer.
In 1939 Col D I Sultan is the commanding officer.
In 1941 Col I Elliott is the commanding officer
Postmaster 1894-6 also showed J E Evans as well as agent for D & R G express.
Mrs. E R Richards shown in 1898 as postmistress [C W Richards was agt for the D&RGRR at this time]. In 1900-02 her name is listed as Effie Richards. In 1903 she became the postmaster, and the title remains 1904-5. In 1906-10 she is Effie R Richards, postmaster. In 1912 Mrs. E R Richards was postmaster.
Mrs. Hattie Watson was listed as postmaster in 1913-14. In 1915 it was listed H. M. Watson postmaster.
E D Mathews is listed in 1916-18 as postmaster.
A S Jones is the postmaster in 1919-22.
Charles Lawton is listed in 1923-24 as postmaster [he also listed earlier as saloon and city officials]. In 1925-33 he is listed as postmaster and Notary Public. . He is listed again in 1935.
Agnes M Padan is listed as postmaster in 1937, 1939, 1941, 1943. Padan Agnes M is listed in 1950.
W U Tel Co.
B Schmidt was mgr in 1916.
John A Murphy was mgr in 1917.
In 1950 the list is more detailed,
A & B Cleaners, Charles Allendorf
Fort Logan School, Mrs. Alice Terry Supt
Fox Mtl Prod Corp. 4002 S Clay, P O Box 54
Grace Calvary Church, Rev Nelson Hill
Kinsey Drug Co., Gladys & Joseph C. Kinsey
Monaghan's Tavern, A R Monaghan
Mountain View Hotel, Anna M. Wilson
Padan Agnes M
St. Patrick's Church, Rev. Anthony Weinzapfel
Turner General Merchandise, M. W. Turner 3533 W Mansfield, PO Box 138
West Hampden Hardware, Wm H. Waite 2955 W Hampden PO Box 6
In 1956 the information is that the population is now 800.
Fence Co, Robt W Hicks, 3437 W Mansfield
Fort Logan Grocery, A R Monaghan, Box 237
Kaupp's Gun Shop, John Kaupp, 303 C St.
Monaghan's Tavern, A R Monagahan, 3989 S King St
Mtn View Bar, Gilbert H Wilians 3880 S Lowell Blvd.
Mtn view Hotel, Mrs. D. B. Wilson, 3880 S Lowell Blvd.
Watkins Products, Harry T. Morgan, 158 Ft. Logan
This information is, of course, more valuable, since we have addresses and can identify the locations. We are familiar with Monaghan's as it is still there, but the Hotel burned down a number of years ago.
As more information becomes available about these businesses through newspaper articles and such, it will be relayed in later pages. We are especially interested in information regarding the actual sites of these business. If you have information, photos or physical items regarding them, please contact the Historical Society.
Copyright © 2002 by the Sheridan Historical Society, Inc.
All rights reserved